Pages

Fear



Wednesday , January 16, 2013


     Less than one month after is conception, The Happy Ride is ready to roll! Except, I have no bike, no Carnet de Passage (its like a passport for your motorcycle), no route, and no definitive plan…

     I’m scared as hell. This project is insane: ride a motorcycle across Asia and seek out the happy and the sad; those who are content and those who suffer, and ask them why. There are some crazy roads to be crossed; and some crazy people to be avoided. Fear lurks in uncertainty. Face it, but smilingly.

Where fear is, happiness is not. - Seneca the Younger ( currently 1,948 years young! )

     I disagree. I’m staring at my fears right now. Realizing my place in the universe, I observe my fear, and I am happy. I don’t advocate suppression of the facts to reduce fear, nor do I think the remedy to fear lay in bravado. Learning to observe fear as an automated mind/ body reaction lets the fear be as it is, while disallowing its effects.

     I’m afraid of my undertaking on so many fronts. I’m fully aware that I may die or be seriously harmed.  I observe this fear, without suppressing it or identifying with it. The fear is there, but I am happy.