Pages

A meeting in Thailand

Saturday, January 12th, 2013



     A few days ago, I flew to Chiang Mai, Thailand to attend a gathering of around the world motorcycle enthusists. Some were mid-trip, having ridden here from Europe. Other’s, like me, were simply curious. It was exciting and terrifying all at once. I went to ask questions, and poke around. Also, I had to kick the tires of a bike I’m considering buying: a 2003 Honda Africa Twin – a legendary bike in these circles.

     I’m was terrified by the size of the bike, and its cost. The logistics of the ride were overwhelming; everyone there had planned for so long. I was excited by the prospects  I saw that, if I apply myself, I can probably make this happen.

     Which begs the question: what is this? What is it I plan to do? What am I doing at this meeting, and why am I here? My intent is to find happiness in the minds of people across cultures, and this will require that I ride from Vietnam to Portugal and talk to people about it. I will then share what I've found, and open new pathways to happiness for other people.

     At times, the idea and its purpose are so clear. Other times, I feel like I’m fooling myself.