Pages

I Wish I Had Known That When…


April 12, 2013


Breakfasting by a waterfall somewhere in Laos, I’m contemplating the strangeness of the mind. I’m doing a bit of ‘trip-planning’. The logistics of conventional travel are nothing compared to traveling with your own vehicle. There are a bunch of bureaucratic hoops to jump through. Stupid laws!

I’m trying sort out my Carnet de Passage en Douane, an expensive and complicated piece of paper which acts like a passport for the motorcycle. It’s essentially a bank guarantee which prevents individuals from importing vehicles into countries without paying tax, which makes sense. Stupid reasons for the laws!

I also need to figure out how to ship the bike from Southeast Asia to India. China requires tourists entering with their own vehicle to hire a private guide costing over $200 a day. Myanmar does not let tourist enter or exit their country via the land borders. Bringing your own vehicle into Myanmar is a no-no. Stupid governments!

I also need to figure out how to get my visas for Pakistan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and a bunch of other weird countries. It would be helpful if I had known about concurrent passports about a year ago. Issued sparingly, they are valid for only a year or two. They function like an extra passport, which could spend time zooming from embassy to embassy in the US while I travel freely in India and Nepal. I lament that I didn't get one this summer. before I had any idea about the trip. Stupid mind!

Wishing the past were other than it was is a terrible affliction. It causes considerable dis-ease. Yet the mind loves to roll in the past, wanting the impossible. “Oh, wouldn’t it have been great if [ Event Stuck in The Past ] was more like [ Fantasy ]?”. A subtle but noticeable longing is felt; a smidgen of unease is created. Wanting what is not and could never be: a literal disease of the mind.