Pages

Escape from thought.


March 21st, 2013


     My journey was evaporating quickly, the inescapable tide of time carried me with it. I was not concerned with the disintegration of my current trip, but I was anxious about the future. Each day brought me closer to an impasse: should I attempt to drive a motorcycle across Asia, or not? Whenever I thought about it, the result was paralysis by analysis. This is typical of me and I know it. I’m clinically indecisive. I can’t do much to change this feature of my brain, but I can adopted different strategies to deal with it.

     In the case of deciding on The Happy Ride, I simply made a series of small commitments to the overall plan. The Sirens of fear, doubt, and reason all conspired to pull me away from attempting a trans-Asia motorcycle ride. All I could think to do was tie a few lashes. I couldn’t make a decision, but I told a few key friends I was going to do it. I was unsure what to do, but I put a deposit on the motorcycle I would need to complete the journey anyway. I sought opinions from trusted sources, and they all said do it. In short, I pit lack of overarching forethought against indecisiveness. But, try as I might, I couldn’t stop my mind from incessantly debating the issue. 

     The whole way back to Ming-Ngo I questioned my approaching decision. I got so lost in irrelevant thoughts that I found myself back in Hsipaw, the town where I began some five days prior. It was only 11 am. I had overshot my turn-off to Chow-Meh by an hour. What bothered me most was not the time lost, but the sense of continuity I compromised. My subconscious was bound to realize the truth. I had returned to the beginning of my trip, therefore the trip was over. Framing and context are often more powerful than the issues themselves. I acquiesced to fate and declared the trip finished. However, I still had the bike for two more days. Wouldn't an excursion to Mingo-Ngo be wonderful, I thought. “Yes,” agreed my spirit, “Let’s ride to Ming-Ngo and celebrate.” With the issue successfully re-framed for digestion by the mind, I backtracked with a smile.   

     The section between Chow-Meh and Ming-Ngo provided me with excellent riding once again. Even in reverse the turns were fun, the traffic was sparse, the pavement was good, and the scenery was beautiful. I approached the guesthouse as delighted to see my hosts as they were to see me. I was genuinely happy to see them. By now it was late afternoon; I had some lunch and marched out to the rice field pagoda with my book. I had 36 wonderful hours to relax and enjoy simple things in my favorite place in Myanmar.

     I began reading Jupiter’s Travels, by Ted Simon. It’s a cult classic novel about Simon’s around the world motorcycle trip, which lasted four years beginning in 1972. Immediately, I recognized the similarities in thought he shared with me and indeed all travelers. This made me begin the question the causal direction of thought in general. Do you have certain thoughts because of the experiences and surroundings you choose, or do certain thoughts cause you to choose certain experiences and surroundings?

     I’m not a fatalist; I’m a firm believer in free-will. However, this is an arbitrary belief as the issue of free-will is far from settled. The older I get, the less sure I am that it exists. Accepting lack of free-will as a possibility is something I find difficult to do. However, seeing as it’s a unsettled issue, I must accept it as a possibility. Ouch. Apparently, my belief in free will isn’t so firm after all.

     I spent the following morning drinking tea and reading my book. I wandered about town to look at the cycle of the day in Ming-Ngo. Children wore basic school uniforms, and grabbed breakfast from shops on the way to class. At the high school there were no uniforms. Kids, mostly the boys, wore loud and garish western style clothing, but with an Asian flair. Henna colored hair, mirrored sunglasses, distressed jeans, and busy t-shirts were common.  

     The two schools I saw were both comprised of a rectilinear building with large playgrounds in front. I wanted to take some photos, but found myself to be too much a distraction. Spotting a white person was cause enough for a student to stop paying attention, but one who was taking photos! That required divulging my presence to anyone that would listen. More than once, I compelled an entire classroom to come to a halt and stare out the window. Seeing as their minds were devoid of culturally conditioned fears of strangers, terrorism, suspicion, and the like, I wondered what they thought I was doing. Everyone smiled, waved, and pointed. Evidently, they were devoid of the concept of candid photography too.  





     There was a small mosque in town; Ming-Ngo’s most ornate building. The walls of the cube-like structure were covered in variegated geometries of tile, heavy on topaz and turquoise. Each corner had a small minaret, and the central room was accented by a dome. Surrounding the mosque were Ming-Ngo's Muslim residents. The people in the streets looked markedly different in both feature and dress. The men wore Arabic looking facial hear and stereotypically Muslim hats known as Taqiyah’s. The women, well, they were clearly kept out of sight. Definitely a Muslim neighborhood.

     The ox-cart was still a viable piece of living machinery. The animals were well cared for and tenderly conducted. For all I know they preferred their current routine to idling in the fields. Seeing one up close, I got a sense of their raw yet majestic power. I was surprised how terrifically muscular cattle can get. I chuckled to myself, remembering a section of Walden where a farmer advises Thoreau against being a vegetarian. The farmer reasoned that the body needs to consume meat in order to support muscle, bone, and the general life-force essence of the body. Thoreau was flummoxed. How could the farmer ignore the fact that the enormous and powerful oxen he put to work daily survived on grass? Thoreau was ahead of his time; indeed, if read thoughtfully, it becomes abundantly clear that he is far ahead of our time.




     I returned to the guesthouse determined to relax and let-got of the future tense. I knew I wanted to see the temples of Bagan, after which I’d fly to Malaysia for a meditation retreat. When that finished, I’d return to Thailand and either buy a motorcycle and attempt to drive it across Asia, or cordially back out the deal. There really wasn't that much to ponder after all. I resumed reading my book.