Pages

A note on the blog. Spoiler alert!



March 29th, 2013



Any journey into new territory is bound to be wrought with false starts and missteps. So it is with this blog. I’m not quite sure what I’m attempting to create is this space. Is it a living journal, an automatic update for friends, family, and curious onlookers, or is it supposed to be something more?  In all honestly I don’t know, but I am enjoying my new venture.

By design, the blog is asynchronous with my travels. I figured that would give me some lead time and perhaps I could get the writing ahead of itself to make up for down time for when I head to remote regions or go on a retreat or something. This may change. The dates at the top of each post are now the dates posted, and not the dates written, as they had previously been. I’m not sure what future changes  I will or should make, but I suspect there will be some. My entries are absurdly long for a typical blog, but that seems to be what I enjoy writing, so hopefully that won’t change, but I think it’d be nice to throw some shorter posts up there too.

*Spoiler alert* I’m currently in Laos. I made the affirmative decision to go ahead with the grander trip of riding a motorcycle from Vietnam to Portugal. This journey I started a few days ago, and I think it will take me about a year to complete. Driving through Myanmar is not allowed, and riding through China requires a private guide at $240 a day. No thank you. Hence, I will need to ship the bike once, and have two proposed routes. I will either ship the bike either east to Bangladesh, India, or Nepal, or ship it north to Mongolia. The part of the trip I’m most looking forward to is my ride through “The Stan’s”. If I ship the bike east, that means going through northern Pakistan, Tajikistan,  Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, and hopefully across the Black Sea into Azerbaijan, then Georgia, then Turkey, etc. The northern route is infinitely more simple with regard to bureaucratic necessities, and obviously eliminates Bangladesh, India, Nepal, and Pakistan. However, the rest of the proposed itinerary remains unchanged.

I have plans to write a bunch about my experiences, my observations, and my thoughts on life. The Internet is pretty amazing, and I hope to take all readers with me. Enjoy!