Pages

Two Nights on The Irrawaddy.




February 10th 2013


     I awoke early, grabbed my already backed bag, and began walking down the road which parallels the massive Irrawaddy River, keeping an eye out for the ticket office.

     Government buildings in Myanmar, and perhaps everywhere else, stand out. Their universal aesthetic informs onlookers that inside, adults wearing uninspiring costumes have chosen to play bureaucrat. Surly service is to be expected. I walked through the exterior gate of this tiny administrative building and saw the lone employee. He was reading the paper and having some tea, as many people in Myanmar do to start their day. With languid administration of his hand, the man felled a corner of the newspaper. The slowly falling corner revealed a face with spectacles riding low the nose. It was the man who had sold me the ticket yesterday.

     “No boat.” He said, recognizing me. “Come back 9 o’clock” he said with a self-assured nod. He quickly reconstructed his paper fortress with a firming snap. Although I could not read the bolded headline on the front page, the message was clear: This window is now closed. 

     I was neither surprised nor upset. In fact, I figured the boat would be delayed because the river was low. And in fact, I wanted to leave later than scheduled as we were scheduled to arrive in Mandalay at 1am. I was praying for a delay. I didn’t expect to leave a 9am either, but that wouldn’t matter anyhow. Travel has taught me the value in having no expectations, especially on long trips. This important lesson should be extended to all areas of one’s life; the reasons why  become clearer to me every day.  

     When traveling, guide books may say one thing and a person arrives only to discover that the opposite of what was read would better describe the reality of the place as they perceive it. Thus, a necessary consequence of travel is the inward journey. Travel is mirror which reflects how the perceiver perceives the myriad situations one encounters.  To travel with no expectations is to be free of burdensome judgments. This way of being comes naturally to the long term traveler, for if it does not travel is experienced as a pendulum that swings between moments of enjoyment when things are going as planned and moments of disappointment when they are not. This is exhausting, and travel becomes a chore of looking or waiting for the next high. On long terms trips, it is far better to let the experience be as it is, and not make judgments about how it “should” be.

     As applied in life, having no expectations might better be phrased as accepting what is. Having an emotional reliance on that which is not yet so can only cause harm. On close examination, it can be seen that, for the vast majority of cases, having expectations is useless. This is not the same thing as having no goals, desires, or plans for the future. This are all good things that should be developed and nourished. With or without expectations, one arrives at the same place. Why set yourself up to be disappointed?

     In his old age W.B. Yeats reflected “When I think of all the books I have read, wise words heard, anxieties given to parents… of hope I have had, all life weighed in the balance seems to be a preparation for something that never happens” One has to wonder what he was expecting, or rather, why he was expecting anything thing at all.

     And so I took the news of the delay with equanimity. The goal oriented part of my mind was piqued, for this is its nature. However, I’ve learned to when and how to ignore it. I was still traveling, and still on the same trip. I whittled away delay after delay with prodigious amounts of reading an tea. None of the other travelers seemed to mind terribly either. Eventually, all travelers intuit this maxim:
“Better to travel happily than to arrive”.