Pages

A Surreal Arrival




February 4th, 2013


Stepping off the train and onto the platform at Mytkyina station was like stepping onto a movie set. Everything was authentic, only more so. It was surreal.

The train pulled into station around 8pm, and a young tuk-tuk driver was first to spot me. He approached the still moving coached and asked with a smile of intrigue "YMCA? Two thousand Kyat"? He held up two fingers to confirm the price, but a genuine smile never left his face. As comic as staying at a YMCA while in Burma sounds, I was in Burma's Kachin state, which is supposedly 95% Christian.
 Also, the YMCA is the cheapest place in town that accepts foreigners, so I agreed. 

I passed my luggage through the wooden window-frame to the expectant arms of my teenage driver and headed for the door. I don't recommend such a nonchalant parting with your valuables in India, or even Argentina, but one develops an instinct for trustworthiness after traveling for so long. That, coupled with the knowledge that Myanmar is still run by a military dictatorship where crimes against tourists are punished as severely as, say, speaking out against the government tyrannical rule, made me feel very secure.

In the station, people buzzed about rapidly unloading goods from the train. The driver hoisted my bag onto his shoulder and led me to the exit. Outside of the station were poorly lit streets. Audible commotion created a sense of uncertainty.

Across the passenger drop off area of the station lay the main road. A swarming mass of traffic composed of tuk-tuks, motorbikes, cars, and bicycles which slowly rambled over broken concrete in indistinguishable directions. A dust composed of kicked up dirt, exhaust, and pulverized road crated an opaque urban fog which enshrouded the traffic. Haloed headlights were the primary source of light. Seeing in color was not possible; everything appeared as grainy back and white. I was wearing used a brown leather bomber jacket I purchased for the trip. Wading through rickshaw traffic with silver screen vision in that getup contorted my logic. Had I slid through a time warp? I climbed into the back of the tuk-tuk and we putted away, kicking up more dust and adding our share of sooty exhaust common to poor quality fuel.

An emergency light lit the front desk at the 'Y'. There was only one large room left, but it was within my budget. The place itself was very rundown. It looked like it had been a medical clinic at one point. There were caged doors on all the cabinets; the hallway was curiously wide.

The manager was a local man in his late twenties who spoke good English. He quizzed me about what I was doing so far north, and told him planned to drift back from where I came via ferry boats on the Irrawaddy. He broke in before I could finish describing my plans. Due to ongoing fighting in the north, the military banned public transit on the river between Mytkyina and Bahmo, my first scheduled destination.

Ongoing fighting? That would explain the brownouts, broken streets, absence of tourists, and quizzical expression on everyone's face when I arrived at the YMCA. The managers furrowed brows and bewildered query "You are not with NGO... or missionary?" made infinitely more sense.

Travel can be like this. Firm plans made at one juncture are laughable at the next. One simply has to go with the flow. I was a bit stunned in the face of my decision: to stay a full day or hop back on the train the following morning?

I had a dinner of seaweed soup at the Chinese eatery next door; a pause to let the atmosphere of the place soak into by being a bit more. Plans aside, I was in a pretty unique place. What electricity the street lights lacked pervaded the air. There had been fighting nearby, I was told, but the city itself was quite safe. I had no schedule, no plans, and no responsibilities. I was all alone on the edge of a world unknown to me. Is that not what travel is all about?

Yes, a day or two on the edge of a populated nowhere would do me good.